Who Regulates Moving Companies? An Expert's Guide

Moving companies must have a license before they can operate. The Public Transportation Office is the lead agency that oversees the regulation of moving companies, taxis, livery operators, and bus companies. They adopt and enforce different regulations to ensure a safe environment for all parties. In Georgia, you can find a list of licensed movers on the Public Transportation Office's website.

In Michigan, the Michigan Public Utilities Commission (MPSC) is responsible for regulating carriers of household goods. This includes authorizing services, registering motor vehicles, approving moving rates, and overseeing safety and consumer protection. The Public Utilities Commission also regulates and supervises carriers of household goods in West Virginia. You can confirm that your moving agents are authorized to provide a moving service on their website.

Unfortunately, some moving companies employ bait-and-switch tactics, such as providing an illegal verbal estimate and then increasing the price after the move has begun. International moves involve land changes between your residence and ports, maritime transport between ports, and any additional customs, transport or handling charges that may apply. The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) keeps track of USDOT numbers and requires all moving companies to have a number and comply with federal safety regulations. If you have a problem with a moving company that you can't resolve peacefully, contact the Department of Transportation. In Illinois, the Illinois Trade Commission sets regulations on in-state moving and local moving. The Commission also investigates cases of poor service, inflated costs, and illegally operating unlicensed moving companies.

In Missouri, moving companies that provide local and intrastate relocation services are under the responsibility of the Missouri Department of Transportation (MoDOT). In Oklahoma, the Oklahoma Corporate Commission (OCC) certifies and authorizes state household goods carriers. The Nevada Transportation Authority (NTA) administers and enforces state laws related to carriers of household goods. In Connecticut, the Connecticut Department of Transportation (CDOT) regulates state moving companies and taxi, truck, and bus companies. If you're looking for more specific information about licensing, regulations, hiring movers, or protecting your consumer rights in Texas, check out this helpful TXDMV webpage — Don't Make a Move Without Us. In Wyoming, the Wyoming Department of Transportation (WYDT) is the regulatory authority that oversees local moves.

Before hiring a moving company in California, make sure to get their Cal T number (the CPUC permit number), which must be included in all their advertising.